“Saving the bacon: Practical considerations to survive the current pig crisis”
The Irish Pig Health Society (IPHS) 2022 Symposium and trade show will take place in person in the Midlands Park Hotel, Portlaoise on Tuesday April 26th. The IPHS are very pleased to host a tremendous line up of Irish and international experts, as well as experienced pig producers. Speakers will present practical solutions to current challenges of health, welfare, and productivity in the pig farming sector.
IPHS 2022 Symposium Overview
Date and location:
Tuesday, April 26th in the Midlands Park Hotel, Portlaoise.
Trade show from 12 noon – Symposium talks 14:00 to 18:30 (with break for lunch) – Dinner 19:30.
Topics and Speakers:
- New Feed Ingredients – Professor Ilias Kyriazakis, Queen’s University Belfast. Ilias specialises in the effects of animal management on their performance, their ability to cope with challenges (such as pathogens), and the environmental impact (including the use of alternative and home-grown feeds for livestock systems).
- Feed ingredients market update – Rory Deverell, Rory is a senior commodity risk manager for StoneX, serving a wide range of commercial commodity trading companies across the EMEA region.
- Making the most of the Pig HealthCheck Programme – Carla Gomes, Carla is the AHI Pig HealthCheck Programme Manager, with extensive knowledge in using animal health data to make the most informed decisions on farm.
- How technology can improve your farm – Charlie Thompson, Charlie is from Bridge House Farm, Northamptonshire and previously won Britain’s Pig Farmer of the year (2020). Charlie will speak about his excellent use of technology to improve farm performance.
- What is coming down the line – free farrowing – Emma Baxter, SRUC. Emma is an animal welfare and behaviour scientist, specialising in pig projects that cover challenges throughout the pig’s life cycle, from optimising piglet survival in high welfare farrowing systems to investigating humane stunning at slaughter.
- Learnings from the current crisis? – Pig producer panel, We will hear from several pig producers who will share their experiences and insights thus far in how they are trying to survive the current pig industry crisis.
- 12:00 – 14:00, TRADE & HOG ROAST.
- 14:00 – 14:15, Opening Address, Carla Gomes, President.
- 14:15 – 14:45, New Feed Ingredients, Ilias Kyriazakis.
- 14:45 – 15:15, Feed ingredient market update and best practice price risk management for EU feed consumers, Rory Deverell.
- 15:15 – 15:45, The Pig HealthCheck Programme, Carla Gomes.
- 15:45 – 16:45, BREAK.
- 16:45 – 17:15, Innovation in Pigs – they can actually fly!, Charlie Thompson.
- 17:15 – 17:45, Which (free) farrowing system? Key decisions when choosing an alternative to farrowing crates, Emma Baxter.
- 17:45 – 18:30, Q&A session, moderated by Ciaran Carroll.
- 18:30 – 18:35, Closing Address, Thomas, Vice-President.
- 19:30, DINNER WITH GUESTS.
“The Irish pig industry is currently going through an extremely difficult period, and we feel that, now more than ever, practical advice needs to be taken into consideration for the survival of the sector. We hope to see you at this year’s event and thank you for your continued support”.
Carla Gomes, President of the IPHS